Friday, January 27, 2012

Movie: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

**Disclaimer** Please do not consider this a "movie review". I am not a trained critic and did not do things a critic does like not eat popcorn and take notes. This is simply my opinion on a movie I went into expecting to really like.

I saw this movie on January 22 with my Mom. Both of us have read the books in the Millennium Trilogy though Mom read them years ago when they first came out.

On to the movie: The opening credits where jarring with haunting music and slightly disturbing imagery. I read in an Entertainment Weekly interview with the director that he wanted to give a glimpse into Lisbeth's mindset and defining elements. I won't go into detail about the plot since you can get that in IMDB. This is not a movie for the faint hearted as evidenced by the R rating. There is sex, rape and violence all of which were, I think, tastefully handled. Nothing was overly gratuitous but I have a strong constitution for such things. The characters you should like are likeable and the characters you don't like are suitably horrid. The rapist-"advocat"-lawyer is especially nasty since he brutal assaults Lisbeth and then offers to drive her home. You can't help but give a little cheer when Lisbeth gets her revenge. The relationship between Lisbeth and Mikhail develops as they learn to trust each other. Daniel Craig isn't a bad looking guy but I wouldn't hop into bed with him, unlike Lisbeth. It is an interesting ending with the hero in trouble and Lisbeth coming to the rescue against a very, very bad man. There was a genuinely funny line when Lisbeth asks "may I kill him?" My answer was "hell yes!" I thought it was a great movie and did very well by the book. I look forward to watching the Swedish version with my Mom and launching a comparison.


The lovely Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander. The ears and eyebrow piercings were real as was one in her right nipple. I am not sure I would get a nipple piercing for a movie role but she so fully encompassed Lisbeth and made her such an unorthodox heroine it all worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment